Zamzam Boutique - Moroccan Cusions


I'm so into these gorgeous Moroccan cusions. There are some wonderful colours out there and I particularly love the big rectangular ones which look gorgeous on a bed adding extra texture and colour. This embroidery can also be made on large rectangular poufs which are stunning.

In the top photo you can see one of my Juju hats from the Cameroon, I just love love them. They are used for ceremonies by tribal elders and I have been waiting for a year for them to come, they are finally here!! and I have been so over excited by them. I have a citrus lemon one which I didn't like at first but it looks stunning like a giant sunflower on the wall. Being born in Uganda and growing up in Nigeria the deapth of my soul is in African art but it looks so good mixing it with modern textiles and design.

I spent a long time in Cameroon as a child we used to go for our Christmas holidays there. It's a very special place. Yaounde has a large gardens which is the sister garden to the famous Kew Gardens in London. They do a plant exchange between the two of rare and tropical plants.

Cameroon is a home to a diversity of chiefdoms, kingdoms and villages in the grasslands of the beautifully forested volcanic mountains of Cameroon. Some of the most important tribes include the Bamoun in the East, the Bamileke in the South and the Tikar east of the Bamoun. During royal court affairs, the celebrants of these kingdoms wear a spectacular headdress known as the Tyn or Juju hat.
The hat is worn by the chiefs, senior dignitaries, prominent officials and important dancers.

These large normally bright hats consists of multi-colored bird feathers. The feathers are carefully sewn onto a raffia fiber base, covered with material on the outside that splays out into a huge circle. When not in use between festivities, the Tyn hat can be neatly folded in on itself for easy storage. The feathers are utilized as rare objects of beauty, as a symbol of prosperity and for the wealth of positive qualities associated with birds.

We had a beautiful cream one in the Zamzam salon but slowly slowly the birds re-claimed the feathers until one day there was just the raffia and wood frame left, so they are definately to be stored inside away from birds!

I particularly love the black and grey and also the deep gold seen below. I can make you any size, just email me for prices - zamzamriad@gmail.com
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L'Abyssin - well healed Marrakech

Cooking a Tagine - Berber style

Gnawa or Knawa - Great Music Masters in Morocco