Monte Laster's Marrakech - Beni Ouarain, Zamzam Boutique

I got a phone call on my mobile one morning dashing through the souk. "Yes" I said, thinking it would be some random person wanting to sell me mint! "Hi my name is Monte Laster I would like to buy some Beni Ouarain and found your blog, im trying to find out if it is worth me flying over to do some shopping with you. I need 7 Beni Ouarain." "Absolutely I said, I can take you to find some great carpets. How long will i need." "Gosh at least 4 days and you may find some if you are lucky."

And so began the wonderful journey into the land of Berber carpets with Monte Laster, an American living in Paris. He is, I now realise one of the most sought after interior designers for anyone rich and famous wanting a journey into interiors. Regularly in the likes of World of Interiors, Vogue Living etc this man knows what he is after.

The trip started in hell and ended in heaven. He missed his flight, got food poisoning in France before he left and after nursing him back to health - "lets go" I said not much time. "I'm still ill " he said. Not one to be put off a shopping expedition to buy 7 carpets - "shall I get you a corossa" I said. "What's that?" "a kinda large wheel barrow, at least you wouldn't have to walk!"

Well what a lucky man, i don't know if the global recession and lack of carpet dealers from abroad in the souk is a reason, but we found staggeringly beautiful Beni Ouarain carpets. I found myself saying "you'r gonna have to make a choice you know". What a dilema! An interior design heaven?




What a purchase, this man definately has god on his side and what a joy. I loved meeting him and chatting and exchanging stories. After two days of doing carpets, I said, need an assistant. He looked at me in the eyes, I think i've got one. It was a mean feat getting them into the couriers after he left for New York. Just wait until you see the photos of the Manhatten appartment.

For more interiors go to http://www.montelaster.com/ and his photographers site http://www.joannamaclennan.com/

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L'Abyssin - well healed Marrakech

Cooking a Tagine - Berber style

Gnawa or Knawa - Great Music Masters in Morocco